It's a weird thing to say, but I'm so glad my parents raised me in "white-washed" Spokane Valley. I may have identity issues and issues with my own race, but really...I'm so glad that those stereotypical things that are associated with "being black" don't apply to me. I've really spent my life making sure that those who assumed I would behave like the general black populace were proven wrong. So far, so good.
The reason I say this is because today at work I had the "pleasure" [is that SARCASM?] of dealing with two young black girls. I call them girls because despite their age, they behaved like little children. I'd been having a wonderful time at work despite already having to kick out a previous customer who has a tendency to steal our chocolate delicacies when he thinks no one is looking. Today was the final straw, when after I told him to put the handful of candy back down and he didn't listen- we told him to never come back. [*shakes head*-- we shouldn't have to babysit grown people] Back to the story- I was having a great day. They walk in around 4:30ish and one of them asks to use the bathroom. My coworker informed her that you have to be a paying customer and the other girl interupted to say that she was planning on buying something. So she asked where the key was and was told that it was in the basket by the Odwalla fridge [right in front of her face, mind you.] She got a slight attitude and asked where again. I finally interjected and pointed to it.
I took the other ones order [tall carmel hot chocolate with whip...this is important.] and told her the total [$2 something] she then lifted her bag to retreive her wallet a good five feet away from where I was standing at the register. I gently informed her that the register was over here and she retorted back that she knew that. [riiiiiight] I mumble some sort of explanation that people tend to get confused because our layout is a bit complicated. She pays, I give her change back and go about checking off my list of things to 'get-er-done'. The short one comes back and is mumbling some sort of complaint and then throws the key in the candy basket [where it's full of candy...wtf?! idiot...] I sigh incredibly loudly to get the point across that I was VERY irritated with their manner and snatched it from the basket and threw it hard into the correct one. By this time, the other girl [who got the drink] has taken a sip of her drink and starts freaking out. [remember...she took a sip.] She's saying something about "omg---I just drank coffee. I hope I don't have a heart attack...blahdeblahdeblah."
Now, I've had it up to here at this point, but with customers-my tolerance level for their stupidity, arrogance, and just downright rudeness is raised strictly because I'm at work. So my coworker tells her that she made a mistake and proceeds to remake the drink without being asked to. Then these two start complaining LOUDLY about it, as if this doesn't happen ever-in-life! I'm trying to hold back everything I want to say to these two when the drink ordering girl [we'll call her #1] asks me if we have cards. I give her a blank stare and say back, "what KIND of card? we have a lot of cards." She serves more attitude with her reply [which I forgot. ] So after some back and forth I ask, "a business card?" She says yes, to which I reply, "You need to be more specific when you ask for something." [I'm even MORE irritated because she thinks she's going to get desired results from calling the manager?! NEWSFLASH HONEY-WE answer the phones back here and ALWAYS take messages. So any "complaint" would go through us first. And even if he heard it, what is he gonna do? He's gonna ask if we remade the drink for you and then when you say yes, he'll say that's about all they could've done!]
Then I hear more complaining from idiots #1 and #2. My coworker tells me that she didn't actually read the slip of paper but that once she saw the word 'caramel' she assumed it was a latte. She's admitting her mistake, right?! Of course, this entire exchange of complaining and admitting fault is happening with just the counter between the two parties. So I say VERY loudly and VERY nonchalantly, "WHAAATEVER." and shrug and laugh because really- it's not that big of a deal. You won't have a heartattack from a sip of espresso no matter how sensitive your heart is. [Because if you were really THAT heart sensitive, you'd have croaked from how fat you already are...c'mon now.]
One of them mocks my "whatever" statement. At this point, I slammed the pen that I was writing with down on the counter and look up and say, "Alright. I'm sick of hearing you two complain. You have two options- you can take a refund or you can sit there and wait for her to remake it. Either way, you're going to have to just leave." SO OF COURSE- they start shouting back at me. I maintain my cool, calm, but pissed composure and tell them they have those two options only. #2 tells me to stop talking to her. I laugh and tell her to get out of my store. She tells me no and what am I gonna do about it. I tell her regardless she's going to leave the store. She tells me to call the cops, so I reach back and grab the phone and dial 911.
They're accustomed to our calls so I explained where I worked and that there were two customers who wouldn't leave the premises when asked to do so. They're mouthing off in the background [to my face.] and I'm describing them to the lady. She asks their race. I say african american [why? because it OBVIOUSLY shows my intelligence level. they would've said black. i know when to be PC about certain things.] She asks their age. Now, I know they are over 20 but just to piss them off more I say "15". BAHAHAHAHAHHA! They start freaking out even more and yelling and threatening to beat my ass.
I think it's all hilarious. I'm smiling in their faces throughout the entire exchange. I love it. That's pretty much it. I eventually called the cops back and told them they left the store. They asked if I wanted to do anything about the threats. I laughed and said no. I'm not intimidated by people who think they can just talk loudly to get their way. I won't back down especially because I know that the louder you talk, the less likely you are to really do something aobut it.
I'd LOVE to see their faces if I had suggested we take this outside. I could've easily taken them BOTH.
...and you see, they ended up leaving regardless.....wasn't I right?
xoXo.
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment